Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my blog. Please read my selected articles published in various newspapers and magazines, and feel free to pass your comments. Besides, my books are available in leading book stalls across the country. At the same time, I would be glad to send a free copy of the book to journalists/writers interested to review in the newspaper/magazine.

Friday, January 8, 2010

My Trekking Odyssey

BY LB THAPA

Trekking has always been my favorite pastime. I just want to leave the crowd and slip out for nearby trekking destinations. Over the last five years or so I have been regularly trekking in this manner. During these trips I had both interesting as well as unpleasant experience which I can never forget in my life.Here I would like to describe about an incident that changed me entirely. Until two years ago, I was a different type of trekker. I would carry only a few clothes in a small backpack, and always worried about hotels and guest houses. Food was my prime concern. I would always avoid those trekking destinations where hotels or lodges were not available.

But today my preferences have changed. I carry a complete kitbag with me including a small tent. Now I value more interesting destinations. I don't mind spending nights in my own tent.All this change came to me only after I met a German trekker, Macanzee. By profession he was a freelance writer, and an adventure loving man. His company did transform me into a different sort of trekker. One fine morning, I made my mind to set out for a trekking to Ghandruk. I kept some necessary clothes in a bag. I was on the way to Ghandruk. It was sweltering and I was walking uphill from Nayapul. To beat the heat, I sat under the shade of a tree.

Meanwhile, my eyes saw a foreign tourist, who carried a big rucksack on his back. He began chatting with me. We turned into good friends. We walked continuously and at about 8 pm we reached Ghandruk. The next morning we went round the Ghandruk village but I noticed Macanzee did not look happy. "Hey Dude, you don't look happy" I enquired. "Look Mr. Tapa (Thapa) this is my seventh visit to Nepal and of course third to Ghandruk. I am sorry to tell you but the truth is that this is not a Ghandruk that I had seen a decade ago. That was a different Ghandruk. But today there is a complete transformation. Concrete houses have occupied the places of traditional houses. I'm shocked to see such unpleasant makeover. Your government should understand that visitors like me come to see original and traditional Nepal" he said.I do agree with him. Nowadays modernity has taken its toll on many villages. Road construction has discouraged many foreign trekkers to abandon trekking to many destinations. Once peaceful trekking destinations now have turned into crowded bazaars. On the one hand, our government speaks about the promotion of village tourism; on the other it does nothing to encourage it. After lunch Macanzee told me that we would stay there by the riverside for two days. I informed him that we did not have enough rations. Then he showed me a few hooks. He said "With the help of these hooks we will try to catch some fish. " he said. "But I am a vegetarian" I told him. "If you want to be a real trekker then learn to survive in any condition!" he said.

This way I broke the oath of not eating meat some three years ago. Catching fish in the running water was a tough job indeed. However, we managed to catch some, which were enough to keep our spirit up. Next morning we walked deep in the forest and enjoyed the beauty of nature. For the first time I realized, we can be happier in the closeness of nature. We spent two days on the bank of the river. Next morning we followed our ways. He continued his trekking to Annapurna circuit while I returned to Pokhara. After about 12 days, he arrived in Pokhara. A day before he left Pokhara, I offered him dinner at my home.

After dinner, he bid good bye to us and got into the taxi for Lakeside hotel. Meanwhile, I saw he had left something in the room. I wanted to call him, but the taxi had already moved off. I saw a small piece of paper also attached with the bag. When I opened, it read "To Mr. Tapa, Macanzee. And you know it is the same tent that I still carry in my rucksack on every trek.
(This article was published in People's Review Weekly, Kathmandu)

2 comments:

Recentfusion.com said...

Sir, nice to see you here in blogspot. I am also a trekking lover. Hope we will be walking together one day. Keep it up sir.

Rup Narayan Dhakal

LB Thapa said...

Thanks Rup Narayanji. I feel honored if you include me in your trekker's team. We can trek together.