Welcome to my Blog

Welcome to my blog. Please read my selected articles published in various newspapers and magazines, and feel free to pass your comments. Besides, my books are available in leading book stalls across the country. At the same time, I would be glad to send a free copy of the book to journalists/writers interested to review in the newspaper/magazine.

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Beirut And My Novel

LB Thapa

For the last few years, I have had a strong desire to pen my first novel. But this had not been feasible. Teaching and doing some freelance writing took much of my energy. Then I realised that to live by writing in Nepal was difficult if not impossible. During this time, an opportunity to work in Beirut came my way. My job was to take care of the property of my wealthy Lebanese boss who was then living in London. Saturday was my day off, and I would walk down to the nearest seashore where I would sit on a rock and write.

Suddenly everything changed when Hezbollah captured four or five Israeli soldiers. It provoked Israel, and it resorted to military action. It was late at night when Israeli fighter jets pounded on the Beirut International Airport. This all happened when I was writing the last chapter of my novel. With each passing day, Israel intensified its air attacks, which started coming closer to our part of the area. Sometimes the explosions were so massive that we ran down to the basement. All people in our area began fleeing for safer havens. We were at a loss as to what to do! Meanwhile, we spoke to our Lebanese staff Malek Khourey and requested him to speak to our boss about the impending danger. But we were told not to leave the house. “Stay there! You are safer in my house than elsewhere in Beirut.” He may have been right, but we decided not to take any chance.

We began thinking of a safe passage out of Beirut as bombs began dropping within a kilometre of our house. While my colleagues were worried about their lives, I was thinking about my novel. I expedited my writing. During the day, I stole a little sleep, but for two whole nights I kept on writing and finally completed the novel. We left the building in a rush, leaving behind many goods and clothes. But I kept the manuscript of my novel with great care. Well, I can never forget the help my Lebanese friend Malek Khourey provided us. Our boss had instructed him not to put himself at risk by taking us to the Beirut port. After a few hours of official paper work, finally our ship left the Beirut port for Cyprus. Beirut city was under a cloud of black smoke, and the streets were deserted. To be honest I had fallen in love with Beirut the first day I landed there.

The Lebanese people are very brave, and the city is vibrant. Beirut lay further and further behind…It was a painful sight. Then I saw Malek Khourey waving his hands at me. I rose to my feet and also began waving. Meanwhile, a man beside me was fuming with anger, and warned me not to disturb his sleep. I looked at my watch, it was midnight. I lay on the deck, pulled up the blanket, and placed my head on my shoes and made an effort to sleep.

(The article was published in People's Review Weekly, Kathmandu, Nepal)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

namaste sir,
Good evening,
I am collecting data on Nepali Translation. It includes the materials (literary, magazines, articles, children literature, and so on) which have been translated from other languages (foreign and Indian) into Nepali and published by Indian and Nepali publishers. If you can help me by providing some informant on this, I will be grateful to you. I will be available on suni.ntmorg@gmail.com.